Educators engage in professional learning.

I believe that it is important for educators to take advantage of opportunities for professional development, in order to adapt and modify our teaching practices to meet the diverse needs of our learners. 

As a teacher candidate, I have had the opportunity to attend various events that have helped me to grow my perspective and practice as an educator. During the two years I have spent in the Bachelor of Education program, I have had the incredible chance to attend School District 57’s Indigenous Day of Learning event twice. The first opportunity was in person, and I attended two workshops. The first related to trapping and hunting, and the second on salmon fisheries and the life cycle in Northern B.C. During this event we also heard from two prominent key-note speakers. One of those speakers being former NHL player Jordin Tootoo, who shared his story about his struggles his mental health after losing his brother.

A highlight of these professional development opportunities is the chance to connect with other teacher candidates and educators around the province. One Pro-D opportunity that I really enjoyed was the PSA Day 2020 Conference. Not only did I get to share this day of learning with fellow teacher candidates from the UNBC B.Ed program, but I also go to participate in this event with my best friend who attend SFU as a teacher candidate

.